The Trend Changes in General Studies 2009 Mains
Analysis IAS paper
1. conventional history questions not asked
they gave 3 statements and wanted you to commment on it. also the conventional 5 Freedom movement related 2 markers were absent.
2. there wasn’t much from polity except from ‘voting behavior of indians’
3. the routine computer terminology of 10 marks : absent
4. people thought they’d ask Chandrayaan but they asked Hubble telescope
5. paper -2- many questions on biotech/bioinformatics/ DNA finger print etc etc + 1 conventional question on nanotech.
6. statistic: 2 graph questions – rest stuff was easy as well
7. emphasis on international relation
(both in G/s paper 2 + Essay paper: in GS there were 3 essays that had direct relevence to international relation of india.)
8. in geography it was conventional stuff: wetlands & ecosys, biodiversity etc. people thought they’d ask in detail about monsoon mechanism/ drought/famine but they didnot.
instead there was one question on Meteorological dept.’s work.
9. previous years they’d ask 2 markers / 5 markers ‘defination /terminologies’ from Economy- they didnot do it this time. instead they asked straight 30 marks question – do you think we should stop liberalization after meltdown?
the reason people are saying tough paper because it didnot have the conventional 260 Marks worth Polity +History+Economy combo.
and because nothing that coaching classes considered as imp. was asked.
instead they asked Q? on sports, Television, current affairs. the 2 markers were also unique compared to previous trend.