Technology Mission on Oilseeds and Pulses
- The Technology Mission on Oilseeds was launched by the Central Govt. in 1986 to increase the production of oilseeds to reduce import and achieve self-sufficiency in edible oils.
- The Integrated Scheme of Oilseeds, Pulses, Oil Palm and Maize (ISOPOM)
- The ISOPOM is being implemented in 14 major states for oilseeds and pulses, 15 for maize and 10 for oil palm. The pulses component has been merged with the NFSM w.e.f. 1 April 2010.
- Under the scheme, assistance is provided for purchase of breeder seed, production of foundation seed, production and distribution of certified seed, distribution of seed minikits, plant protection chemicals, plant protection equipment, weedicides, gypsum/pyrite/liming/dolomite, sprinkler sets, and water carrying pipes, supply of rhizobium culture/ phosphate solubilizing bacteria and improved farm implements, publicity etc.
- The National Oilseeds and Vegetable Oils Development (NOVOD) board was constituted on 8 March, 1984 under the National Oilseeds and Vegetable Oil Development Board Act, 1983 as a statutory body for the integrated development of oilseeds and vegetable oil industry under the control of the Union Government.
The country has enormous potential of tree born Oilseeds (TBOs) like Sal, Mahua, Neem, Simarouba, Karanja Jatropha, Jojoba, Cheura, Kokum, Tung, Wild apricot etc. However, the collection of seeds of these