SCOAP3, Electronic Nose, Baxter, Lytro
- Electronic nose
- Bio-inspired microbot
- Nano-tech: Some new applications
- Marconi vs Bose: Wireless
- Prototype electronic instrument.
- It can detect small quantities of harmful airborne substances.
- can be used for Batch to batch consistency during production. (perfumes, food)
- Detection of contamination, spoilage, adulteration
- Developed by China
- It is capable of not just walking on water but jumping up and down on the water’s surface like the insect.
Nano-tech: Some new applications
- Manufactured nanomaterials (MNMs): by adding them to soil, we can increase crop yield.
- radioactive gold nanoparticles= used for prostate cancer treatment in dogs. It has a chance of being used in humans.
- Initiative by CERN. (those God-particle wallas)
- Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics.
- Under this project, about 7,000 particle-physics papers, published in subscription journals, will soon become freely accessible to anyone from any part of the world.
- A humanoid robot with ‘common sense’, made in USA.
- It is designed to work safely alongside its human co-workers on factory production lines,
Baxter Robo looks like this
Marconi vs Bose: Wireless
- Guglielmo Marconi is often credited with inventing radio transmission
- But the record clearly shows that wireless transmission of electromagnetic waves was first successfully demonstrated by Sir Jagdish Chandra Bose and that too in Kolkata
- Bose reported on his experiments at the Royal Institution in London.
- But soon after Bose’s talk, Marconi changed the design of his detector and cameup with his invention.
- New type of camera that lets users adjust the focus after taking pictures. “shoot now, focus later.”
Based on The Hindu S&T Section, Sept-Oct 2012