Psychology Mains 2012 Paper 1 & 2 for UPSC Civil Service IAS IPS Exam
- Paper 1 Section A
- Paper 1 Section B
- Paper 2 Section A
- Paper 2 Section B
Paper 1 Section A
Q1 12 marks 150 WORDS
- Elucidate the contribution of Sir Francis Galton in shaping psychology
- Discuss the criteria of question writing in a survey research
- Bring out the differences between sampling error and error in sampling. How sampling error is
- Describe the role of epigenetic model in determining human behaviour
- Discuss the payoff matrix in relation to signal detection theory
Q2 20 marks, 250 words
- discuss the three basic conditions for using t-test of significance. Describe at least five different uses of t-test, with examples.
- Compare the Sterling’s experiments with that of Neisser’s experiments in the study of sensory memory. What did this to experiments prove?
- with suitable examples, critically evaluate both primary and secondary reinforcements and bring out their role in establishing conditioning
Q3 30 marks 400 words
- In which way IRT is an improvement over classical tests clearly? Compare the two approaches and critically evaluate Rasch’s model of IRT
- describe Broadbent’s filter theory of attention. Why this elegant theory turned out to be inadequate? Comment upon the alternate approaches
Q4 20 marks, 250 words
- what is McCrary Hunter invariance hypothesis? Discuss the shape and characteristics of serial position error curve in terms of invariance hypothesis.
- Evaluate duplicity theory of vision. Cite experimental evidences in support of the theory.
- examine the impact of cultural factors on socialising process among children
Psychology Paper 1 Section B
Q5 12 marks 150 words
- Discuss various dimensions of thought process in relation to concept.
- is facial expression of emotion innate or acquired? support your answer with suitable evidence
- discuss the modification of Chomsky’s transformational generative grammar
- compare LISREL program with that of SPASS in the analysis of multivariate data
- Evaluate various factors which influence intrinsic motivation
Q6 20 marks 250 words
- compare multifactor theory of intelligence with that of multiple intelligences
- Enumberate different stages of sleep. discuss the effects of sleep deprivation Enumerate various methods of problem-solving. critically evaluate their advantages and limitations.
Q7 30 marks 400 words
- what is the essence of projective technique? Critically evaluate perceptive, appreciative and productive projective tests in the measurement of personality
- discuss A-B-C , opponents of attitudes. Describe the procedure of development of a tool for measurement of attitude
Q8 20 words, 250 marks
- what is meant by effective communication? Evaluate various sources of effective communication
- critically evaluate the relation between intelligence and creativity. Cite experimental evidences in support of your answer
- how would you measure emotion of an individual? Discuss the effect of emotion on behaviour
Psychology Paper 2 2012
Paper II Section A
Q1. 12 marks, 150 words
- What do you understand by personality disorders? Distinguish between schizoid personality disorder and schizophrenia
- Comment on the present practices related to educational guidance and counselling programs in indian schools and colleges. Highlight the problems in implementing and strengthening these programs in indian context
- Critically evaluate the strengths and limitations of psychodynamic therapies in the treatment of mental disorders.
- Discuss how the major role of rehabilitation psychologists is primarily as a facilitator of adjusting behaviour rather than as a symptom eradicator
- Discuss the merits of the role of small groups in social action and community handling of social problem’s
Q2 30 marks 400 words
- Explain the characteristics of standardised psychological tests. Discuss the major steps in developing self-report personality inventory. Illustrate your answer with suitable examples
- Discuss different learning disabilities and their educational and psychological consequences. Suggest relevant remedial measures in this context.
Q3 20 marks 250 words
- Explain the assumptions underlying cognitive therapy. Critically comment on its utility in the treatment of mental disorders
- Identify the physical and psychological consequences of being the victim of violence. Explain the nature of counselling and rehabilitation services a psychologist can render to the victim of violence
- Define the notion of environmental pollution. How would you explain the impact of scientific and technological innovation on environmental degradation from psychological perspective.
Q4 20 marks 250 words
- defined learned helplessness. How can this concept be used to explain depressive disorders?
- Explain the model of sensitivity training. Relate them to organisational development
- explaining Vroom’s expectancy theory of work motivation and link this theory with variable pay programs
Paper II Section B
Q5 12 marks 150 words
- Canon achievement motivation be included as a base of training for economic growth and development of a country? Discuss the contribution of Mcclelland and his team in this context
- justify with examples of the insights derived from studies on intergroup contact hypothesis would be useful in promoting harmonious relationship among different castes and in maintaining social order
- What are the causes of domestic violence? How is the belief in a just world used to rationalise this violence?
- Explain the concept of team cohesiveness in the context of sports. How can teamwork be improved through the application of sports psychology?
- Discuss the components of gender sensitivity training. Indicate its importance in the context of management of workforce diversity.
Q6 30 marks 400 words
- What are the psychological components of advertising and marketing? Identify and discuss the relevant ethical considerations.
- Explain the consequences of short-term and long-term exposure to noise. How does noise affect our social behaviour? Cite the impact of crowding in this context
Q7 20 marks 250 words
- Explain the psychological consequences of being a part of socially disadvantaged groups especially with reference to self-concept, identity, motivation and achievement. Give examples from Indian context
- Distinguish between prejudice and discrimination. Explain the variable moderating the manifestation of prejudice into overt behavior.
- What is glass ceiling effect? Explain the casual factors underlying it. What remedy in steps can be taken by the employing organisations to minimise the glass ceiling effect?
Q8 20 marks 250 words
- Discuss critically the utility of IT and mass media in the context of distance learning. Throw light on the strengths and limitations of distance learning
- explained the psychological factors and mates that demotivate people from following small family norms. Suggest relevant motivational strategies in this context
- what is man machine system in the context of human engineering? Highlight the application of human engineering in defence with reference to equipment design.