PREDICCS, LCROSS, HXMT, Life on Mars (Space related S&T from Hindu Sept-Oct-2012)
- Life on Mars
- NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO)
- Hard x-ray modulation telescope (HXMT)
- Zero Gravity effect
Life on Mars
Why life is possible on Earth but not on mars: some reasons
- Our moon is of the right size, able to control the spinning of the earth and its axis of rotation, thus stabilizing our climate and seasons.
- ozone layer, which shields molecules on earth from being zapped away by cosmic radiation
- gravitational strength of Earth keeps useful gases from escaping off into space.
NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO)
Used for acquiring 3-D views of the moon’s surface.
- web-based tool
- for predicting and forecasting the radiation environment in near-Earth, lunar and Martian space.
- It will provide critical information as preparations are made for potential future manned missions to the Moon and Mars.
- NASA’s Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing satellite,
- It has detected presence of water locked inside the soil of moon.
Hard x-ray modulation telescope (HXMT)
- China’s first space telescope.
- Will be used for studying blackholes.
Zero Gravity effect
- disembarking astronauts are taller than embarking ones.
- This growth is due to zero gravity — the vertebrae of the spine spread out.
Based on Hindu S&T Section in September, October 2012