Ganga had been declared as the National River on Nov 4 2008 by the Prime Minister.
- The Ganga or Ganges is the loegest ri–ver of India flowing over 2,510 .kins of mountains, valleys and plains. It originates in the snowtields of the Gangotri Glacier in the Fiimalayas as the Bhagirathi River, it is later joined by other :rivers such as the ‘laknar. ia. Son„ Gumti„ Kosi and Ghagra. I he Conga river basin h one of the most f.ertile and densely populated,areas of the world and covers an area 1000000 sq. k’ri.
There are two dams on the river
one, At Haridwar and the other at Farakkti. The Ganges River Dolphin is an endangered animal that specifically habitats this riven
- The Ganga is revered by Hindus as the enact sacred river on earth. Key religious cerein,nies are held on the banks of the river ::71t citics such as Varanasi, Haridwir and
The Gauge widens out into the (in the Sunderbans SA/Vamp ,A before it ends its journey by emptying to the Bay of Bengal
National Aquatic Animal
- On 5 October, 2009, Government has declared “Dolphin” (Platanista Gangetica) as the National Aquatic Animal. It represents the health of the rivers particularly the Ganga.
- Ru ci id dpi are solitary creatures andfemales tend to be larger than males. They are loc: ally known as susu, because of the noise it makes while breathing. This species inhabits parts of the Ganges, Meghna and Brahmaputra rivers in India, Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh, and the Karnaphuli River in Bangladesh.
- River dolphin is a critically endangered species in India and therefore, has been included in the Schedule I for the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972. The main reasons for decline in population of the species are poochilig and habitat degradation due to declining flow, heavy siltation, construction of barrages causing physical barrier for this migratory species.
- National Heritage Animal
- (:ovt. of India has declared the “Elephant” as India’s National Heritage Animal on 23 Oct 2010 with the aim to preserve big animals like Elephant.
The Ministry also plans to amend Wildlife (Protection) Act for setting up of
- National Elephants Conservation Authority (NFCA) as the tiger conservation has been constituted in the country.