- Due to the liberalization of trade after the advent of the WTOs SPS agreement, the chance of ingress of exotic diseases into the country have increase. For ensuring the maintenance of disease-free status and to be compatible with the standards led by the World Animal Health Organization (OIE), major health schemes have been initiated to support animal health programmes in the state.
- Animal Quarantine and Certification Service : The objective of this service is to prevent ingress of livestock diseases into India by regulating the import of livestock and livestock related products and providing export certification of International Standards for livestock and livestock products which are exported from India.
- Livestock Health and Disease Control (LH&DC) : The Government of India is implementing LH&DC with the following components : (i) Assistance to states for Control of Animal Diseases (ASCAD), (ii) National Project on Rinderpest Eradication (NPRE); (iii) Foot and Mouth Disease Control Programme (FMDCP) and (iv) Professional Efficiency Development (PED).for click here
Development of Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture
- The ongoing scheme of Development of Freshwater Aquaculture and Integrated Coastal Aquaculture have been combined with four new programmes on Development of Coldwater Fish Culture, Development of water-logged Area and Derelic water bodies into aquaculture estates, Use of Inland Saline/Alkaline Soil for Aquaculture and programme for augmenting the Productivity of Reservoirs.
- The Central Institute of Fisheries, Mutical and Engineering Training, Kochi with units at Chennai and Vishakhapatnam, aims at making available sufficient numbers of operators of deep-sea fishing vessels and technicians for shore establishments.
- Integrated Fisheries Projects, Kochi envisages processing popularising and test marketing of unconventional varieties of fish.
- The Central Institute of Coastal Engg. for Fisheries, Bengaluru is engaged in techno-economic feasibility study, for location of fishing, harbours sites.
AVIAN INFLUENZA/BIRD FLU
- Fisheries Survey of India (FSI) is the nodal organisation responsible for survey and assessment of fisheries resources under the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone.
National Fisheries Development Board
- It was established to work towards blue revolution with a focus on to increase the fish production of the country by extending assistance to the various agencies for implementation of activities under Inland, Brackish water and Marine sectors.
- It is an autonomous organization under the administrative control of the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture. The office was established at Hyderabad.
Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE)
- DARE, Ministry of Agriculture provides government support, service and linkage to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and is responsible for coordinating research and educational activities in the field of agriculture, animal husbandry, fisheries and allied services.
- ECONOMY CONSTITUTION INDIA IAS NCERT DOWNLOAD BLOG TheExamTimes.com