- The Cabinet Secretariat functions directly under the Prime Minister. The administrative head of the Secretariat is the Cabinet Secretary who is also the ex-officio Chairman of the Civil Services Board. The, Cabinet Secretariat is responsible for the administration of the Govt. of India Rules, 1961.
- The business alloted to Cabinet Secretariat is (I) Secretarial assistance to Cabinet and Cabinet Committees and (ii) Rules of Business
- It assists in decision-making in Government by ensuring
Inter-Ministerial coordination, ironing out differences and evolving consensus.
- It ensures that the President, the Vice-President and Ministers are kept informed of the major activities of all ivlinistriesiDepartments.
- It helps in the Management of major crisis situations in the country.