Amur Falcon Massacre, Nicobar Megapod, Narcondam Hornbill
- Amur Falcon
- Nicobar scrubfowl/Megapod
- Narcondam Hornbill
- Mock Questions
- A Migratory bird from Russia.
- Every year, in October, they arrive in northeast India from Siberia en route to their final destination — Africa.
- During their flight, they stop the jungles of Nagaland for a while, for food and rest.
- Why in News? Because some environment activists found that 120,000 to 140,000 birds are being slaughtered in Nagaland every year during their passage through the state, and sold for their meat @local markets.
- They’ve requested Environment Ministry to take action.
- India, is a signatory to the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS), therefore it is Government’s responsibility to provide safe passage to all migratory birds, turtles etc.
- A bird, only found in Nicobar island.
- Why in news? Because Navy wanted to setup a missile testing site at Tillanchong Sanctuary in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Environment Ministry rejected it, missile testing project would destroy the habitat of this bird.
- This Bird is also called Nicobar megapode —because of its large legs.
- This bird is considered sacred by the Nicobarese people, was hit badly by the Indian Ocean tsunami that destroyed vast swathes of its habitat and nesting grounds.
- Navy Chief said, “We know that Environment ministry has its reservations. But the fact is we cannot do without our firing range”
- Narcondam is an extremely remote, tiny island in the Andaman and Nicobar Island group, and is home to about 300 Narcondam hornbills, a species that is found nowhere else in the world.
- Why in news? Because The Coast Guard wanted to set up a surveillance radar here, but environment ministry rejected the proposal.
Andaman Nicobar Map-click to enlarge
Q1. Which of the following statements are correct?
- Amur falcon is a bird species native to North East India.
- Nicobar Megapod is a critically endangered insect under IUCN.
Q2. Narcondam Hornbill Is found in…
- Wheeler’s island, Orissa
- Salim Ali National Park, Kashmir
- Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Goa
- Andamand Nicobar islands.
- Write a short note on the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS). 10marks
- With respect to, the tussle between Navy/Coast Guards vs. Environment Ministry, What is important: National security or conservation of an endangered species? And why?
- What do you know about Migratory Species? Do you know names of any sites your state/district, that are frequented by migratory species?
- There are reports of large scale poaching of Migratory birds in your area. This is the only source of livelihood for many villagers and favorite dish among urban class. Forest officers are reluctant to detain anyone, fearing possible protests and unrest in the villages. As the District collector what steps will you take?