- Agriculture and allied sectors contribute nearly 14.2 per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP), while about 58.8 per cent of the population is dependent on agriculture for their livelihood. The agricultural output, depends on monsoon as nearly 55 per cent of area sown is dependent on rainfall.
- The total area coverage under foodgrains in 201011 has been reported at 121.33 million ha.
- Increase in Minimum Support Prices between 200809 and 2010-11 amongst cereals, has ranged between 3.70% (wheat) and 17.6% (Paddy common),If bonus of 50 per quintal for paddy in 2008-09 and wheat in 2010-11 is considered, there is an increase of 8.33% and 11.11% in wheat and paddy, respectively, in case of plulses, the increase has ranged between 20.32% (Lentil) and 25.8% (Moong).
|Various Acts/Orders/Rules Related to Agriculture
. Destructive Insects and Pests Act, 1914
. Agricultural Produce Grading & Marketing Act, 1937 (Amended in 1986)
. Prevention of Food Adulteration Act – 1954
Production Statistics of 2010-11
(Acc. to 4th Advance estimates) Production in million tonnes
- Rice 95.32
- Wheat 85.93
- Coarse Cereals 42.22
- Pulses 18.09Total foodgrains 241.56
- Cotton 33.43 million bales of 170 kg each
- Jute & Mesta 10.58 million bales of 180 kg each
- Sugarcane 339.17 million tonnes
India’s Position in the World in the Production of Fruits and Vegetable Crops Rank
Fruit trees/Vegetable Crops
1st Milk, Cashew nuts, Coconut, Tea, Ginger, Turmeric & Black Pepper, Banana, Sapota, Mango, Pulses, Pomegranate, Grapes 2nd Wheat, Rice, Sugar, Groundnut, Inland Fish, Cotton, Fruits & Vegetables, Brinjal, Cabbage, Onion, Cauliflower 3rd Tobacco, Egg, Potato, Tomato